Off-shoring software development, maintenance, and support activities is an established means of finding talent, driving down costs, and improving company’s competitive position in the market. However, too many off-shoring efforts fail to deliver their promised ROI through unexpectedly high setup and maintenance costs, poor quality, and loss of customer confidence. We at Conflair have been working with off-shore projects in a variety of areas for a long time. We leverage this experience, as well as our expertise in software process improvement
, as well as in software development
, quality assurance
, and testing
to help companies benefit from off-shoring while avoiding the pitfalls.
Off-shoring poses all the familiar challenges of software development:
- Making the newcomers understand your business and way of doing things
- Developing commitment and loyalty
- Maintaining an easy-to-follow yet robust software development processes
- Progress monitoring and management control
- Accomplishing milestones and meeting deadlines
- Geography – you need to do it with people who are thousands of miles away
- Time zone differences – when you come to work, they are ready to go home
- Different organizational culture – and just as important, cultural differences
- Infrastructure – hardware, software, telecommunications…
We have developed a method to make off-shore development work: Off-shoring Assurance
. We help companies to ensure that their off-shoring efforts deliver the expected ROI by building the quality controls into the off-shoring process from day one:
1. Define your needs and goals
Conflair helps you to define clearly what you want to achieve by off-shoring: lower costs? Higher quality? Quicker turnaround for implementing changes? We help you translate these goals into an RFP that will take into consideration all the different variables of the off-shore equation.
2. Select off-shoring model
Your way of doing business, future plans and other factors will determine your strategy in regards to the off-shoring model. Would it be a partner relationship with an existing off-shore company? Acquisition of an existing off-shore entity? Starting a division of your company overseas? We will guide you through the risks and opportunities presented by each of the options available to you.
3. Develop off-shore solution
Conflair will work with you to develop a solution that meets your needs:
- Selecting an off-shore entity
- Analyzing and improving your existing software life cycle to ensure it is ready for off-shoring
- Overseeing a controlled and orderly handover
- Defining and implementing management controls and performance measures
- Creating quality control mechanisms: metrics, measures, or perhaps even a management dashboard
- Developing and administering training
The quality of your process makes the difference between success and failure of off-shoring. Conflair helps you to make this difference.